Delhi odd-even scheme:
After a gap of almost three years, the Odd-Even scheme will return to Delhi from November 4 (Monday) to November 15 (Friday). Under the ‘Odd-Even Scheme’, vehicles with odd registration numbers (ending with 6781, 7863, etc.) will be allowed on odd days. And even on days, only numbered vehicles (such as 2238, 7400, etc.) will be allowed. This will be the third time that the Odd-Even scheme will come into force in Delhi. Odd-Even was first implemented for 15 days from 1–15 January and then from 15–30 April 2016.
- Two-wheelers are exempted from odd-even scheme
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will make 61 additional trips during the implementation of the odd-even plan.
The third edition of Odd-Even is starting from today as the level of pollution has reached a three-year high in the national capital. Introduced in 2016, the Odd-Even scheme is a car rationing system. Under the scheme, only vehicles with registration numbers will be allowed on the roads. Implemented by the Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government, the Odd-Even scheme will be applicable to all non-transport four-wheelers plying on roads in Delhi.
Twenty-nine categories of vehicles, including the President, Prime Minister, emergency and enforcement vehicles, cars carrying school children in uniform, are exempted from the odd-even-odd scheme.
As the Odd-Even scheme is closed today, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal urged every citizen to follow the car ration scheme for their health and family.
Kejriwal wrote on Twitter, “Follow the strange for your health, your children’s health and your family’s breath as well. It will help to foster friendship, build relationships, save petrol and reduce pollution.”
Here you have to know about the Delhi government's Odd-even scheme.
- Under this scheme, vehicles with odd last digits in the registration number will be allowed on the roads on odd dates and people with last digits will also apply on the dates. The rule will be applicable in Delhi from 8 am to 8 pm except for Sunday. The third edition of the Odd-Even scheme will run until 15 November.
- The Odd-Even scheme will be applicable to all non-transport four-wheelers and even those coming from other states.
- The Kejriwal government has exempted two-wheelers from the odd-even scheme. “Women driving alone, cars owned by all women, and women with children under 12 years of age” will also be exempt. The Delhi government will allow vehicles to be used for a medical emergency during the 12-day long odd-even scheme. Arvind Kejriwal said that private vehicles are allowed to run on the roads during the implementation of the Odd-Even Car Ration System based on “faith” to school children.
- There is a long list of VIPs, who will be exempted from the Odd-Even scheme. The list includes: President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, Governor of State, Chief Justice of India, Speaker of Lok Sabha, Union Minister and Leader of Opposition of both Houses, Supreme Court Judge, UPSC, Chief Election Commissioner and CAG, Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha and Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha and Lieutenant-General of NCT / Delhi and High Court Judge and member of Lokayukta. Enforcement vehicles and defense vehicles will also be exempted. Electric vehicles are also exempted.
- There will be no exemption for vehicles of ministers and chief ministers of Delhi government. Privately owned CNG vehicles will not be exempted this time.
- A whopping amount of ₹ 4,000 will be charged for the violation of the even-odd scheme that runs from November 4–15. Earlier, the fine for the violation was ₹ 2,000. The Delhi government has decided to increase the penalty as per the amended Motor Vehicles Act.
- Cab aggregators will deactivate surge pricing during the implementation of the Uber and Old Odd-Even scheme. Ride-hailing chief Ola will work closely with its driver-partners to ensure maximum availability of vehicles during peak hours.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that auto-rickshaw drivers are being asked to go by meter prices.
- A University of Chicago study showed that the previous version of Odd-Even had 15% less pollution. Kejriwal said, “Delhi is doing everything from distributing two masks in every household to implementing the Odd-Even scheme in the national capital.”
- The Signature Bridge connecting Wazirabad to East Delhi will remain closed from 5 to 14 November, when the Odd-Even scheme will be implemented.
- During November 4-15, 2,000 additional buses will be deployed on the roads. The Delhi government said that all cluster buses along with the entire fleet of DTC buses would also be deployed.
To ensure that not a single person faces inconvenience during the implementation of the Odd-Even scheme, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will undertake 61 additional trips during the 12-day Odd-Even scheme.
The following will not be exempted from the Odd-Even scheme in Delhi:
- Four Wheelers Powered by Men, Private CNG Vehicles
- Non-freight vehicles from other states, MLAs from other states